Fancy reducing your energy bills in 2016? Small changes can make a big difference. Here are some top tips from the Money Saving Team at MoneyPlus.
- Cut out draughts – Stop heat escaping through unwanted gaps around the house. Think about using draught-proofing strips around windows, door frames and loft hatches and draught excluders for the bottom of doors.
- Make the switch to LED – Replacing just one standard bulb with an LED equivalent can save you around £7.50 per year. That might not sound a lot but multiply that by 10 and that’s a big annual saving! Remember to switch off lights when they are not in use and use the best bulb for the size of the room. Click here to see Which’s guide to choosing the right light bulb.
- Say goodbye to standby – According to the Energy Saving Trust, you can save up to £80 per year by simply switching off your appliances rather than putting them on standby.
- Turn it down – More than half the money spent on fuel bills goes towards providing heating and hot water. Did you know that turning down your room thermostat by just one degree can save between £85 and £90 a year?
- Waste of energy? – Many gas and electric suppliers offer energy monitors for free. These easy to use, handheld gadgets estimate in real time how much energy you’re using and where you can cut back.
- Oven cooking? – Try to avoid opening the oven door when cooking, every time you open it the temperature drops by about 15°C. But leave the door open after cooking to help heat the kitchen.
- Make the switch from 60 degrees to 40 – Try washing your clothes at 40 degrees rather than 60, and always put in a full load. If you can’t fill a load, make sure you use the correct setting for small loads. Hang clothes up to dry rather than using your tumble dryer.
- Keep it constant – Keeping your heating on low constantly can be more economical than turning it on to high for a blast of warmth
- Switch energy supplier – If you’ve been with your current energy supplier more than 12 months, there’s a strong possibility that you could save some money by switching supplier. It used to take up to six weeks to move supplier but thanks to pressure from the regulator and government, it’s now a much speedier process and takes up to 17 days which includes a ‘cooling off’ period if you change your mind. According to recent research by our utility switching partner, uSwitch, the average annual saving made by customers switching energy tariffs has risen to £228*. One of our clients made a massive annual save of £591.60 – that’s nearly £50 per month!
Did you know at MoneyPlus we have a Money Savings Team? Our team of highly trained money saving experts will review your energy bills and help you find the best possible tariff available to you. They can also help save you money on your buildings and contents insurance and help you reclaim any mis-sold PPI. Click here to find out more or call us to today on 0800 988 8171.
*’This is Money learn the facts here now.co.uk’, 13:03 9th December 2015